BENTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Gifted Programs Exit Policy
A student may be removed from the gifted program through the request of a parent, teacher, or student. A request for removal needs to be filed in writing with the Gifted Programs Coordinator. Due process for removal shall include the following:
1. In the event of a parent request for student removal from the program, the proper
form stating reasons for removal must be filed in writing with the Gifted Programs Coordinator.
2. In the event of a student request for removal from the program, parental
permission must first be obtained, and the proper form stating reasons for removal must be filed in writing with the Gifted Programs Coordinator.
3. Prior to a teacher request for student removal from the program, the GT
Facilitator will notify parents of the concern and allow sufficient time for the student and parents to correct the concern.
4. In the event of a teacher request for removal, parents will be contacted to
arrange a conference with the student, parent, and GT Facilitator to discuss reasons for removal from the program.
5. In the event that a parent cannot be reached or refuses to attend a conference,
the reasons for removal will be discussed with the student.
6. If it is determined that a student will be dropped, a copy of the removal request
and reasons for removal will be filed with the Gifted Programs Coordinator, and other concerned school personnel will be notified.
7. Parents will be notified in writing when a student is dropped and advised of
appeal procedures and re-entrance procedures.
8. Parents may appeal a removal decision by requesting a review of the reasons for
removal by an Appeals Committee consisting of at minimum the GT Facilitator, classroom teacher, counselor, and the Gifted Programs Coordinator. If that decision is still questioned, parents may appeal to the Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent of Benton Public Schools.
9. If parents desire for their students to re-enter the program, they may request the
Selection Committee to review the circumstances and reasons surrounding their removal and to consider replacement in the program at that time.